Saturday, December 17, 2011

What should the wrist hinge feel like in the golf swing?

I just began golfing and find that many of the instructional aids don't discuss what the hands should be doing during the golf swing. My question is should I hinge my wrist towards my forearm or should they hinge towards the sky? Thanks for any help.|||This is a common misconception in the golf swing.


Brian Manzella explains this the best at:





http://www.brianmanzella.com/forum/showt鈥?/a>


You have to sign up for the forum, its free (the forum has pictures too). But I can summarize. Alot of people hear that at address you should raise your hands and then bend your wrists straight up. This is WRONG!





Try this:





Put the club out in front of you parallel to the ground, toe of the club to the sky. Bend your wrists so that the club swings backwards, but stays parallel to the ground with the toe still facing up to the sky. THIS is the correct wrist hinge you should be after.





Took me years to find this out and once I did - I went from a 15 handicap to a 6.|||One drill I learned was to address the ball normally, take the club straight back until the club is pointing straight backward and is parallel to the ground. Next, raise the club to a vertical position by bending your wrists. This will give you the feeling, strength and flexibility in your wrists. I'd say your wrists should bend towards your forearms so you don't open or close the club face too much. However, when your wrists start to bend in your backswing they do probably bend towards the sky also.





The real kicker to wrist hinge is being able to hold onto it as long as possible on the downswing and still maintain your timing. If you can do that, you're doing great. You'll probably experience more power and crisper ball striking.





I have trouble doing that.|||it feels like your wrists hinging

No comments:

Post a Comment